What You Should Know about National Migraine and Headache Awareness Month
Hilary and Greg Eldridge
One of the most important tools that you can have as a family caregiver for your elderly loved one is awareness. This is all about understanding the issues and risks that your aging parent faces so that you can give them the care that they need to either reduce or eliminate these risks or issues, or help them to manage them in the way that is right for them. This helps them to maintain the quality of life that they desire and deserve as they age in place.
June is Migraine and Headache Awareness Month. This is the ideal time for you to learn more about headaches and how they can impact your parent’s life so that you can help them to cope with this issue in the best way possible.
Some things that you should know about National Migraine and Headache Awareness Month and throughout the rest of your care journey with them:
- Migraine is the third most prevalent illness throughout the world
- Nearly 25 percent of all households throughout the United States has at least one person who suffers from migraines
- This number accounts for almost 1 in every 4 households throughout the country
- Approximately 12 percent of the total population of the United States suffers from migraine
- Approximately 18 percent of women throughout the United States suffers from migraine
- Approximately 6 percent of men throughout the United States suffers from migraine
- Approximately 10 percent of children throughout the United States suffers from migraine
- Migraine is considered the sixth most debilitating illness in the world
- There are around 1.2 million visits to the emergency room each year related to migraine and chronic headache pain
- The majority of people with migraine experience one to two migraines or serious headaches per month or fewer, but approximately 4 million people have what is known as chronic migraine and deal with 15 or more headache days each month
- More than 90 percent of those who suffer migraine are unable to function normally, including working, during the course of a migraine episode
- Migraine refers to a set of neurological symptoms, not just a headache
- In around 1 out of every 3 migraines, both sides of the head are affected by the pain and throbbing symptoms
Starting senior care for your elderly loved one can be one of the best decisions that you can make for them throughout the course of your caregiver journey with them. Having a senior home care services provider in the home with your parent is a fantastic way to help ensure that they are able to achieve
and maintain the highest quality of life possible as they age in place. This means not only addressing their individual needs, challenges, and limitations, but also encouraging them to pursue a lifestyle that is as active, engaged, independent, and fulfilling as possible throughout their later years. A senior care provider can accomplish this by designing a highly personalized set of services tailored to your parent’s needs, personality, preferences, and goals so that they are able to stay safe, healthy, comfortable, and happy in this new chapter in their lives.
Making Life Easier® Your loved one is in the best hands with our team.