Choosing long-term care for a loved one is never an easy task. Whether you are looking for assisted living, continuous care (where the living facility advances as your loved one’s care needs change), or a nursing home, there are some similar questions you should ask as you visit facilities. A March 2018 article in the Jacksonville Business Journal shared questions to ask when visiting care facilities, to help make your search a little easier. The questions were shared by AARP and former nursing home administrator Maryglenn Boals. Here are just a few of the questions shared in the article:
• Is the facility clean and operating legally?
• Has its license ever been revoked—and if so, why?
• Do residents look as if they have their needs met?
• Do staff and residents treat one another with dignity and respect?
• What training does the staff receive?
• Is someone on duty at all hours of the day, or is there an emergency call service?
• Does the facility have easy access to safety equipment such as fire extinguishers, smoke detectors, and a sprinkler system?
• Is the facility in good shape?
• What meals are provided? Is meal quality and quantity up to par?
• Does the food suit your loved one’s taste and nutritional requirements?
• Does the facility have good social and recreational programs?
• Is the facility in a good neighborhood, located close to shops and doctors’ offices?
• Is transportation provided, or is public or private transportation easily accessible?
• Does the staff appear to be overworked?
• How do residents spend their afternoon?
Call Home Helpers of Bradenton to Care for Your Loved One
Need better care for your senior loved one? Give Home Helpers of Bradenton a call. We provide companion care, personal care, homemakers services, and Alzheimer’s and dementia care so family members can rest easier. We help families in Manatee County in and around the communities of Anna Maria, Bradenton, Bradenton Beach, Ellenton, Holmes Beach, Lakewood Ranch, Longboat Key, Myakka City, Palmetto, Parrish, and Sarasota. Call us at 941-999-1960, or visit us online at http://www.homehelpershomecare.com/bradenton/home.