“The Singing Aide”
Watch this short video as Lynette describes why she enjoys being a caregiver and working at Home Helpers of Bradenton. Playfully known as “The Singing Aide”, she was recently recognized during Women’s History Month on BayNews9! She was also honored as a national Exceptional Caregiver of the Year finalist in Scottsdale, AZ at the Home Helpers National Conference.
Lynette – Thank you for everything you do for this agency and our community. It was an honor to be able to travel and celebrate your achievements in Scottsdale, AZ. I appreciate you! -Jonathan
WHAT DO YOU LIKE most ABOUT BEING A CAREGIVER?
Most of all, I love it by, you know, just being companion to the clients. To making sure that they feel comfortable with me, and me being comfortable with them, and doing all I can to assist them with their needs.
I guess I'm grateful of the opportunity to take care of people because the clients that I've had taken care of, some of them can't, you know, their mobility is weak, and I'm there to assist them with it. But and most of all, it's like the one that stands out, I've been experienced for so long. I've been doing it for so long that it seems like, I can't, you know, seem to let it go. I mean, I started out early and aged now, I'm older, and it seemed like I just feel like I just can't stop. I mean, I don't know what else to do. A medical field is just it's just me, helping people. You know, I'm a people person. So I've been doing it from 1972, and now I'm at the age of retiring, but I'm still doing it.
YOU WERE RECOGNIZED RECENTLY AS “THE SINGING AIDE” ON TV (BAYNEWS9) DURING WOMEN’S HISTORY MONTH. HOW WAS THAT EXPERIENCE?
Oh, that experience was, it was very nice. It was, I just felt it was a privilege to be picked and to be talked about, the way the client had wrote it in words for me. And it was just an opportunity, you know, I never had an experience like that before, and I'm just honored. Just honored.
WHAT DO YOU LIKE ABOUT WORKING AT HOME HELPERS OF BRADENTON?
Now, I just love what I'm doing. The staff is good, from the staff out into the field. It's just, I just am not for so much, because I was on TV or anything, but it's just, the people are just genuine and they're good. The office is helpful, and I have fun. I can come back, and never come in here going out sad for my day, it's just helpful all around, from the phone calls to the texts and everything, everybody tried to help. Everybody has just been, oh, I love them. They're very good.
BAYNEWS9 SEGMENT – “THE SINGING AIDE”
With her, so that's why I took plates in there.
- [Bill] Meet Lynette Lumenes, although spelled differently it is pronounced luminous, whose definition is full of light and shining, especially in the dark. And that's a perfect way to describe her. Lynette is with Home Helpers Home Care of Bradenton, and is a caregiver to 98-year-old, Jane Ogden.
- I help her, you know, back and forth, like, she'll go to the bathroom. I help her with her meals, and mostly just to keep her company.
- [Bill] We also discovered that Lynette has a nickname.
- [Lynette] They call me the singing aid. ♪ When I am old ♪
- [Bill] Lynette, who sings in her church choir, has been singing to her clients for years.
- Just scoot back, you all the way on there?
- [Bill] She says the job is not for everyone, but for those who can, the rewards in the way of friendship and love are wonderful.
- They have to be patient, and learn to get along with the clients, and just love what they're doing and be there for them.
- [Bill] Lynette is a Home Helpers Exceptional Caregiver of the Year finalist, with 19 others from across the US, who will meet next week in Arizona at the Home Helper's National Conference Award Ceremony. It is not unusual for Lynette to drop by on her days off, just to check up and say, hi, it's what she's all about.
- I just thank God that who I am, you know, and that once I meet somebody, it's just like for life, because that's just who I am. I love people.
- [Bill] With an Everyday Hero's report, I'm Bill Murphy.
HOME HELPERS OF BRADENTON
Home Helpers of Bradenton is one of the region's leading home care franchises specializing in comprehensive services for seniors. Home Helpers' sole mission is to make life easier for clients and their families. Based in Bradenton, Florida, the company serves all of Manatee County, including the communities of Anna Maria, Bradenton, Bradenton Beach, Ellenton, Holmes Beach, Lakewood Ranch, Longboat Key, Palmetto, and Parrish. For more information or to request a free in-home care assessment, contact our office at (941) 499-5946 or visit our website atwww.homehelpershomecare.com/bradenton