Have you ever found yourself puzzled about what to get your aging loved ones for holiday or birthday presents? I have. My grandmother always loved chocolate covered cherries, so that was a cheap, easy, go-to; and in her later years, she would request – of all things – toilet paper, because it was something she could use! I always found that so funny, but that was our Grandma…practical.
The adage is true, it’s the thought that counts, but if it is your intent to purchase meaningful gifts for senior loved ones in your life on Black Friday or Cyber Monday, there are a number of options to consider that are safe, useful and special for aging adults.
- Direct Link® monitoring and medical alert system. This is something we offer through Home Helpers® that provides a safeguard for seniors in the event of a medical or security emergency. With Direct Link®, they have Help at the Touch of a Button™. Monitoring services and medical alert systems are literally life-savers for seniors striving to maintain their independence, recovering from injuries, or requiring in-home care.
- Non-medical in-home care. I’d be remiss if I did not offer our non-medical in-home care services, too. Home Helpers® is made up of a quality team of professional caregivers that can provide transportation assistance, run errands, prepare meals or any number of services that could benefit your senior loved one. Our fees are reasonable and there are no contracts, so the gift of help could be the answer! I am more than happy to schedule a FREE consultation to discuss specific needs and concerns, and I can recommend the perfect caregiver for the one you love!
- Prepaid rides with Home Helpers® Safe Wheelchair/Ambulatory Service. If your senior loved one requires trips to doctor appointments, therapy, dialysis, or hospital stays, our Safe Wheelchair/Ambulatory Transportation Service is a great answer! Our uniformed drivers are dependable, reliable, bonded and insured to safely pick-up and deliver those in need from doorway to doorway.
- Slippers or shoes with non-skid soles. These are excellent gifts for aging adults who shuffle their fee or use ambulatory supports to get around.
- Hand-crafted walking sticks or support devices. These can be used inside or outside of the home to help keep them steady on their feet and prevent falls.
- A weather alert radio. It’s mostly sunny in the Sunshine State, otherwise Snowbirds wouldn’t make their trek south to spend colder months. However, Tampa isn’t known as the Lightning Capital of the World for no reason! We do experience nasty storms and frigid temps from time-to-time, so you can’t be too careful when it comes to the elderly.
- Something to keep them warm. Sweaters, socks, electric blankets, fleece throws, gloves, scarves, homemade soups, tea selections, hot chocolate mixes, or flavored coffees, work very well for seniors with circulation issues. It can be incredibly warm outside, but seniors with certain health conditions and poor circulation may feel cold no matter how hot it is!
- Candy or sweet treats. Just as Grandma loved her chocolate covered cherries, many seniors enjoy dessert or something sweet…sometimes, even more than a healthy meal! Away, be careful of health concerns, like diabetes, though, when considering a gift of candy or confections.
- Gift cards and gift certificates! Although, you might think them impersonal, most seniors pinch their pennies due to their up-bringing or the fact they are on a fixed income. That being said, a gift card to their neighborhood grocery, their favorite restaurant, or department store where they shop, saves them that much money when they check-out, which is certain to bring a smile to their face.
- Pay their landscaping, cable, or internet or newspaper bill for a month. By taking care of one of their bills for a month, you are saving them money and giving them a very pleasant surprise. I know seniors who have skimped and saved in order to buy a few holiday gifts of their own, so paying a bill on their behalf is like a bonus to their bank account!
- Google’s Alexa or Facebook’s Portal systems. If technology is something they have embraced and not ignored, like my Mom, consider one of these products to keep in touch with your aging loved ones! A phone call is great, but because we are visual creatures, seeing you is like you being there with them! To that end, maybe a lesson in Skype, Facetime or other tech-based platforms would make them happy!
- A visit from you and other loved ones. It only costs a little of your time, and in most cases, minimal transportation expenses. Spending time with senior friends and family members, especially if they live alone, is priceless! Share memories, reminisce over photo albums, play a board game or cards, work a puzzle, listen to music they enjoy, take a walk, go for a drive…anything like this will be treasured by your aging loved one.
- Family photos in nice frames or albums. Download some of your favorite, recent photos and print them to go in frames or an album so your senior loved one can see them. Plus, there are retailers who can apply images to blankets, puzzles and more, so there are lots of possibilities to explore.
- Ergonomically-designed gardening accessories. If your senior loved one likes to tinker in the garden, gloves, row markers, seed packets, and an outdoor tote to store them in are a terrific idea. If you’re crafty, you can even make your own row markers for that special touch!
- Hire a cleaning service. If grandma doesn’t get around very well anymore and chores are slow to get finished, hire someone to come and deep clean, or perhaps a cleaning service to come once every week or two to help out.
- A car wash & wax. If a senior you love drives, a car wash and wax is always a thoughtful gift. What senior doesn’t want to arrive in a nice, clean, shiny car when running errands or attending church services?
Like I said, it’s the thought that counts, so no matter what you buy for your loved ones, I’m sure it will be warmly acknowledged and appreciated! Happy Shopping!
Home Helpers® is honored to have received the Provider of Choice 2017 & 2018 awards from Home Care Pulse, and we proudly serve male and female seniors in Clearwater, Dunedin, Palm Harbor, Safety Harbor, Tarpon Springs, Holiday, New Port Richey, Trinity, Port Richey, Hudson and surrounding areas. Home Helpers®…we are Making Life Easier℠ 727.942.2539