- Keep records of all medications and reactions: make notes about what works, what doesn’t and when you informed the physician of any problems.
- Keep records of all doctor appointments: the reason for the visit, the doctor’s responses to our concerns, any procedures performed, etc.
- Start or continue to maintain copies of medical records for your loved one, and for yourself, as well. These will be beneficial should a grievance arise or if there are questions about medical histories.
- Plan for the unexpected: discuss plans and wishes of everyone involved in the care-giving family. Talk about final resting places and what arrangements your family will want.
- Have an Advance Directive filled out and given to the primary physician and all relatives who may need the form.
- Have a Last Will and Testament completed or updated: without a signed Will, the courts will decide how to distribute the possessions of your loved ones.
- Keep a record of where all-important documents are kept. When an emergency or tragedy occurs, locating information should not be where we spend our thoughts and energies.
- Record all monetary involvements: investments, resources creditors, debtors, business transactions, etc.
- Have an insurance analysis done: Is your home, life and health insurance still appropriate for your family’s needs? What about the insurance policies for your loved ones? Do you all have enough coverage to take care of any eventuality? Do you have provisions for Long Term Care? For respite care? Is your house adequately covered given the state of the weather patterns?
- Clean out the medicine chest. Look for expiration dates on all medicine, and check with your doctor about previous medications which will either be harmful with current prescriptions or which are no longer effective for you or your loved one. Not only will you save space, you might also save a life.
I am happy to discuss how caregivers can apply and adhere to these resolutions in the New Year. Contact me for more information, or reach out by phone: 727.942.2539.
Home Helpers® is honored to have received the Provider of Choice 2017 & 2018 awards from Home Care Pulse, and we proudly serve male and female seniors in Clearwater, Dunedin, Palm Harbor, Safety Harbor, Tarpon Springs, Holiday, New Port Richey, Trinity, Port Richey, Hudson and surrounding areas. I proudly offer a FREE consultation so you can learn more about the many services offered through Home Helpers®. We are Making Life Easier℠