Am I the only one who has experienced difficulties finding the perfect, appropriate gifts for the senior men in our lives? Sometimes, it can be a real challenge to determine what they want or need, especially now, when it’s best they/we keep our proper social distance to prevent the spread of coronavirus to our most vulnerable older population.
Fortunately, Google has helped take the frustration out of finding great gift ideas, by providing excellent resources that have lots of suggestions. Even though Mother’s Day is the most celebrated of parental holidays, Fathers deserve some extra love, too, especially now.
I have searched a number of websites, blogs and articles and found 15 fantastic Father’s Day gift ideas for senior men staying healthy at home during COVID-19.
What guy doesn’t appreciate a great gadget? My Smart Gadgets has a long list of tech and non-tech options that, for senior men, will “help make staying home a little easier”.
- FitTrack is a tech device that measures what’s going on inside the body from the comfort of home. The website states, “FitTrack is a revolutionary home wellness technology which monitors 17 key health insights and allowing you to measure, track, and trend your health data in real time...(like) body fat percentage, muscle and bone mass, hydration levels and more important information that can help (him) make smarter decisions about (his) health.”
- PlayBeatz premium Bluetooth wireless headphones make a great gift for senior men who may have hearing impairments. They are affordable and comparable to more expensive premium brands on the market, with the same excellent voice and sound quality. Their non-slip design keeps them in place, making them perfect for hands-free phone calls, working in the garden, or simply working-out.
- Peeps Carbon Technology is NASA’s most popular answer to cleaning dirty glasses. “Peeps revolutionary and patented invisible carbon formula safely and easily cleans your glasses, leaving your lenses as clean as the day you got them. Peeps utilize soft carbon microfiber pads eliminate oil and fingerprints instead of smearing like cloths and sprays,” the website states. This handy gadget can be used more 500 times, and cleans lenses four times faster than the traditional spray and cloth.
- NeckRelax makes a terrific gift for senior men who suffer with neck pain. It does not have any vibrating parts, but instead uses three modality settings from which to choose: Infrared heat to improve circulation; Therapeutic ultrasound that uses high-frequency vibrations that promote healing; and Electro-Frequency Stimulation Massage Therapy [EFSMT], or muscle stim, that uses electrodes to target specific areas of pain.
- A Photostick is a great way to share family photos with a senior family member who uses a computer. Save a variety of your family photos that they can enjoy while not being able to see you in person. Many times, photos get snapped from our Smartphones, and they don’t get seen unless they are posted to social media. If Grandpa isn’t on the ‘Gram or Facebook, he probably hasn’t seen them!
- The Dodow is the perfect option for seniors who experience difficulties sleeping or staying asleep. Prescription and over-the-counter medications are not always the best options, especially when a number of meds are being taken each day. “Dodow is a metronome-light scientifically designed to block out overactive thought patterns and lull you into a deep peaceful sleep – fast.Combining yoga, meditation, and behavioral therapy, Dodow is the safe way for ANYONE to effortlessly fall asleep…AND stay asleep.”
- BlauxAC may be the perfect gadget for senior men in Florida. This three-speed device is a unique way to stay cool, no matter where you are! “The Blaux wearable AC (gadget) blows a constant stream of clean, refreshing air at you while you wear it. The big lithium internal battery has enough juice to work for up to 30 hours on a single charge!” This would make a great gift for seniors who enjoy walking, jogging, gardening, or any outdoor activity.
- Kailo is a “futuristic patch” designed using “nanotech” to help relieve pain. If your senior loved one experiences chronic headaches or pain in his joints, back, neck or practically anywhere, Kailo can be placed “anywhere between the pain and the brain” to provide pain relief. The unique thing about this reusable device is, “Kailo is a non-invasive patch that’s embedded with billions of tiny nanocapacitors. Kailo interacts with the body's electrical system. Each Kailo contains nano capacitors that work as a bio antenna, assisting the body in clear communication to turn down the volume on your pain.”
- Sterilize-X is an ideal gift option for anyone, in the wake of the coronavirus. This portable, disinfection lamp uses UV-C light technology to eliminate viruses, bacteria and other microorganisms from the air and on surfaces wherever it is placed. It is rechargeable and easy to use. Simply turn it on and leave the room. There is no residue or secondary pollution concerns with Sterilize-X.
- Drone X Pro is for senior men with an adventurous spirit! This drone great for beginners, because it is foldable, lightweight and easy to use. It works independently and follows instructions like “follow me” or “focus on me.” It moves independently and can fly on its own using predetermined settings and directions.
The Business Insider website shared more common ideas for Father’s Day gifts during the coronavirus that can be purchased online and delivered straight to his door with little or no contact. These include:
- Flowers or Houseplants brighten anyone’s day!
- Books and Journals are always a safe choice for avid readers and writers, as are Kindles or other eReaders. Also, consider the gift of a subscription, for unlimited access to reading material on any iOS device.
- Picture Frames with a current photo of your family will be something he will cherish for life!
- Online Classes will provide hours of engagement and entertainment for the male senior artists, musicians or consummate learners you love!
- Puzzles have, once again, become a popular way to pass the time when seniors are bored at home. The Business Insider suggests, “There are few greater feelings than putting the final pieces of a puzzle together. You can order the same puzzle and complete it over a video call, race to see who finishes first, or frame the puzzle once completed as a reminder of each other.”
- Coloring Books have become increasingly more accepted by adults as a means of passing time and reducing anxiety.
- Blankets or Throws may simulate a big hug to a senor loved one who seems to stay cold, due to poor circulation or side effects from some medications.
- Video Messages from the family and from the heart can be viewed over and over again, and will warm the heart and soul of your senior loved one on Father’s Day, or any day. Kick it up a notch with Cameo, which uses professional actors, athletes and celebrities to create custom videos for your loved ones. “This unique concept is a fun and personalized way to check in on a…” senior loved one, and will certainly make his Father’s Day!
If you don’t live nearby and your Father is a senior living alone in the Clearwater area, Home Helpers® provides non-medical in-home care and assistance, and our compassionate caregivers are ready, willing and able to help 24/7/365. I gladly offer a safe, FREE Consultation, so I can assess his needs and match the perfect caregiver to help during this challenging time. I appreciate the trust placed in Home Helpers®, and my team and I ready, willing and able to your Dad, or any of your senior loved ones who may need assistance.For any questions, please call (727) 240-3059.
We, at Home Helpers® Clearwater, are honored to have received the Home Care Pulse – Best of Home Care®Provider of Choice Award for 2017, 2018, 2019 & 2020. We proudly serve male and female seniors in Clearwater, Dunedin, Palm Harbor, Safety Harbor, Tarpon Springs, Holiday, New Port Richey, Trinity, Port Richey, Hudson and surrounding areas. Home Helpers®…we are Making Life Easier℠
My Smart Gadgets