My father passed away at the young age of 62, so Father’s Day is a bittersweet occasion for me. Fortunately, I have a senior Father-in-Love, who is still relatively active with yard work and domestic chores, in spite of his underlying health conditions.
Unfortunately, finding my bonus Dad a gift for special occasions can prove to be a daunting task. He’s not a golfer or fisherman, and he “doesn’t want anything.” Dad seems to have everything he needs, and if he finds something he wants, he just goes out and gets it. Sound familiar?
So, in my quest to find my FIL the perfect gift that is practical and original, I discovered a number of options that make up this list of 15 fun Father’s Day activities and gifts for senior Dads.
- Take a casual stroll through his neighborhood, a local park, a low-impact hiking trail or a cool mall. A little exercise is an added bonus!
- Visit an area museum, exhibit or favorite spot for sight-seeing.
- Attend a local car show that features vintage, classic or muscle cars.
- Schedule a relaxing massage or an old-fashioned shave and haircut from his favorite barber.
- Enjoy a televised sporting event, complete with lots of healthy (or not-so-healthy) snacks.
- Play card or board games with family and friends, and use pennies or play money to make it more interesting and fun.
- Plan a backyard BBQ and invite family and friends.
- Deliver a delicious take-out meal from his favorite restaurant.
- Watch an old or new movie that he’s sure to love.
Gifts for Father’s Day or Any Occasion
- Audiobooks or newly-released hardcovers are always a novel idea. (Pun intended).
- Large-print playing cards or puzzle books are welcome to Dads with visual impairments.
- Books, movies or documentaries that are based on historical events or themes can be fun.
- Music touches everyone. Create a special play list of his favorite tunes, or purchase some vinyl albums and a turntable for his listening enjoyment.
- It may seem cliché, but comfortable slippers with non-slip soles are a safe and practical choice.
- Photo gifts are thoughtful and come in a range of items like calendars, blankets, puzzles and more.
No matter what you choose to do for your special senior Dads and Granddads on Father’s Day, just seeing or hearing from you and yours this year is likely to be enough!
If you don’t live in the Clearwater area and your Father is in need of in-home care, Home Helpers® provides non-medical in-home care and assistance for seniors, and our compassionate caregivers are ready, willing and able to help 24/7/365. I gladly offer a FREE Consultation to assess needs and match the perfect caregiver to provide assistance.
We, at Home Helpers® Clearwater, are honored to have received the Home Care Pulse – Best of Home Care® Provider of Choice Award in 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 & 2021. We proudly serve male and female seniors in Clearwater, Dunedin, Palm Harbor, Safety Harbor, Tarpon Springs, Holiday, New Port Richey, Trinity, Port Richey, Hudson and surrounding areas. Home Helpers®…we are Making Life Easier℠ 727.942.2539
Senior Safety Advice