I have a confession to make. I routinely use CBD products, and they help me. In fact, my husband, extended family members, friends and colleagues use CBD, and my sister even purchases canine CBD to use on her dogs!
In case you’re not familiar, CBD, or cannabidiol, is a compound derived from the hemp plant that does not include the high-inducing component THC, but instead, contains a psychoactive that positively impacts the neurotransmitters in the brain resulting in relief from a number of conditions.
CBD is widely available in oils that can be applied directly to areas of pain, added to beverages, or vaporized. Edible CBD products include gummies, hard candies, and more, to satisfy your sweet tooth, while providing true health benefits.
Home Care Magazine, a reputable online resource for seniors, has identified 10 potential health benefits of CBD for seniors which include:
- Anxiety – CBD can help promote stress reduction and lead to fewer physiological effects from anxiety, like increased heart rate.
- Neurodegenerative Disorders – Ongoing research indicates that CBD may become a useful tool in the battle against neurodegenerative disease and its symptoms. CBD lowers inflammation, and it is inflammation that makes ND symptoms worse. Stay tuned for more findings from research studies.
- Mental Health and Mood-Related Disorders – CBD has been shown to decrease social isolation, feelings of depression and loneliness, all of which negatively impact the mental and physical health of seniors.
- Sleep Disorders - CBD can help promote calmness and relaxation leading to higher quality sleep. CBD is a natural way to lead to more regular and helpful sleep for seniors. Plus, it can reduce the need to take prescription sleep medications.
- Pain Management – CBD can be a compelling alternative as a natural and potentially safer remedy than traditional pain medications. Studies have indicated that CBD can reduce inflammation while alleviating pain. Conditions that have favorably responded include joint pain, arthritis and multiple sclerosis.
- Bone Health – Seniors are more likely to endure falls and suffer fractures and other injuries. In addition to reducing inflammation and promoting cell repair, research shows that CBD may aid in strengthening bones. It can also promote the body’s ability to heal.
- Addiction & Dependence – CBD has been shown to alleviate some conditions that involve opioids, generally without significant side effects. On top of that, CBD can aid in combating developed dependencies that grew out of the use of prescribed medications. It appears that CBD has the potential to help fight relapses and assist in overcoming withdrawals that develop during this time.
- Heart Health – CBD has shown to be very promising as an alternative and natural treatment for high blood pressure. Another study suggests that antioxidant properties of CBD can aid in lowering cardiac inflammation and deter the death of related cells that results from oxidative stress.
- Cancer Treatment – CBD may help alleviate the symptoms of cancer along with the side effects stemming from treatment. In fact, CBD has shown a reduction in tumor growth in animals. It may even help the body absorb medications better or increase their potency.
- Appetite Stimulation – Marijuana has been studied extensively in this area, and is proven to enhance appetite in its users. CBD can stimulate appetite as well, according to some studies. In this way, it can be beneficial for seniors combating malnutrition and appetite loss.
“There have been few side effects noted in CBD use studies, but they do occur and can include dry mouth, diarrhea, reduced appetite, drowsiness and fatigue. CBD can also interact with other medications, such as blood thinners,” the Home Care article noted.
I strongly recommend that seniors always consult with their physicians or primary care providers before adding CBD products or replacing prescribed medications with CBD to address specific medical issues.
If a Home Helpers® caregiver can help you or a special senior you love this year, we offer wellness calls healthy meal planning and preparation, personal care, companion care, respite care or recuperative care, and I am available to schedule a FREE Consultation at your convenience.
We, at Home Helpers® Clearwater, are honored to have received the Home Care Pulse – Best of Home Care® Provider of Choice Award for the fifth consecutive year: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 & 2021. We proudly serve male and female seniors in Clearwater, Dunedin, Palm Harbor, Safety Harbor, Tarpon Springs, Holiday, New Port Richey, Trinity, Port Richey, Hudson and surrounding areas. Home Helpers®…we are Making Life Easier℠ 727.942.2539
Home Care Magazine