I don’t know about you, but I am really looking forward to all of the fun and flavors of the 2023 Florida Strawberry Festival in Plant City beginning March 2!
There are always celebrity artists performing concerts throughout the festival from every musical genre. There are arts and crafts, a carnival midway, fantastic foods, and of course, sweet, succulent strawberries!
The reason I’m all about strawberries and the Strawberry Festival is simple. Strawberries are packed with antioxidants, and they are on a list of heart-healthy foods that seniors should be consuming on a regular basis.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), “Heart disease is the leading cause of death in the United States, responsible for 1 in 4 deaths. It kills more people than all forms of cancer combined. Seniors ages 65 and up are more likely than younger people to suffer a heart attack, stroke, or coronary heart disease. An estimated 43.7 million Americans over 60 have one or more types of heart disease.”
In Florida, cardiovascular disease accounts for 2 out of every 10 deaths, and in 2020, over 900,000 adults suffered heart attacks as a result of some form of heart disease, says the Florida Department of Health.
One simple thing that aging adults can do to help prevent heart disease and boost heart health is to eat a nutritious diet. Here is a list of 12 heart-healthy foods seniors should choose:
- Almonds & Walnuts – These nuts are packed with omega-3 fatty acids which our bodies require to function optimally. Almonds and walnuts also contain calcium, fiber, magnesium, vitamin E, and heart-healthy monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats.
- Beans – Kidney and black beans are excellent sources of calcium, B-complex vitamins, fiber, folate, magnesium, niacin, and omega-3 fatty acids.
- Berries – Strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries are high in antioxidants and fiber, and they also contain calcium, potassium, magnesium and multiple vitamins.
- Broccoli – Broccoli is a great source of beta-carotene, calcium, folate, and vitamins whether it’s cooked or eaten raw.
- Carrots – Carrots are packed with beta-carotene and other carotenes which studies have shown help lower the risk of heart disease and stroke.
- Dark Chocolate – Dark chocolate is a sweet treat made sweeter due to healthy amounts of resveratrol and cocoa phenols which can help lower blood pressure. Choose dark chocolate over milk chocolate because it’s healthier for you.
- Fish – “Fish like salmon and tuna are full of omega-3s, which can decrease the risk of abnormal heartbeats, help lower triglycerides and slow the rate of artery hardening,” according to Senior Lifestyle.
- Green Tea – Improve your blood vessel function and help your arteries stay flexible longer by consuming green tea. The antioxidants contained in green tea help reduce plaque build-up in arteries.
- Red Bell Peppers – Red bell peppers are loaded with carotenes, fiber, folate, potassium, and B-complex vitamins.
- Spinach – Spinach is a fantastic source of beta-carotene, calcium, fiber, folate, and vitamins C and E.
- Substitute Milks – Substituting almond or soy milk for cow’s milk helps eliminate some fats. Almond milk is rich in magnesium, potassium, and vitamin E, while soy milk is packed with B-complex vitamins, calcium, folate, magnesium, and potassium.
- Whole Grains – Whole grains like oats and oatmeal are great sources of protein and fiber, and brown rice is rich in B-complex vitamins, fiber, and magnesium.
If you or a senior loved one suffers from heart disease or other cardiovascular issues and could benefit from in-home care, nutritional meal planning and preparation, or assistance with grocery shopping, I am happy to offer a FREE Consultation to complete an assessment so I can match the perfect caregiver to help make life easier!
We, at Home Helpers® Clearwater, are honored to have been ranked among the Home Care Pulse Top 100 Leaders in Experience for home care providers in 2023 and to have received the Best of Home Care® Provider of Choice Award 2023, the Best of Home Care® Employer of Choice Award 2023, and the Best of Home Care® Leader in Experience Award 2023.
We proudly serve male and female seniors in Clearwater, Dunedin, Palm Harbor, Safety Harbor, Tarpon Springs, Holiday, New Port Richey, Trinity, Port Richey, Hudson, and surrounding areas. Home Helpers®…we are Making Life Easier℠ 727.942.2539