As I began making plans for our family Easter celebration in a few weeks, I contemplated the meal menu and the guests who would possibly be attending. Considering there are several seniors who will receive personal invitations to join our family, I wanted to find fun ways to keep everyone entertained and engaged on this special holiday.
DailyCaring, a caregiving website resource I reference from time to time, sent a newsletter that landed in my inbox and caught my attention. One of the articles in this issue offered Easter-themed activities for all ages. As I read the feature, I found some great ideas that I will implement at my own family’s Easter celebration, and perhaps, you will, too!
The following describes 6 ways to celebrate Easter with seniors:
- Decorate the house. Easter-themed decorations will add a festive flair to your Easter celebration. DailyCaring suggests these DIY Easter crafts and decorations:
- Dye eggs for an Easter egg hunt or a colorful table decoration. Dying Easter eggs was a tradition when my children were young, but that doesn’t mean seniors won’t enjoy the collaborative process with their grandchildren! You can even use pantry staples to DIY Easter egg dyes.
- Create and hang 3-D Easter egg ornaments. Use colored or plain paper to make 3-D Easter egg ornaments that you design and hang using colorful ribbon.
- Create and hang a bunny Easter garland. Easter bunny garland is easy to make using bunny shapes that you color or design and use cotton balls for the tails.
- Make sock bunnies! Ever made a sock bunny? This is a fun craft for kids that can also bring a lot of joy to seniors! All you need to make sock bunnies are small socks, felt, pom-poms or cotton balls, moveable eyes, ribbon, clear rubber bands, and rice.
- DIY unique Easter baskets. You can use actual baskets you purchase at a retailer, but you can also get creative and recycle soda bottles, paper, and milk jugs to make unique Easter baskets that can be filled with Easter grass or crinkled paper, candy, toys, stuffed animals, or whatever brings joy to the recipients!
- Send Easter cards to family and friends. Who doesn’t love getting greeting cards in the mail? They always bring warmth and smiles to their recipients, and they always beat the regular junk mail and bills! Print these free printable cards, create your own, or purchase cards to send to your loved ones…especially seniors!
- Have a virtual family gathering on Easter that includes senior loved ones. If your senior loved ones can’t join in your family’s Easter celebration in person, schedule a virtual family gathering via FREE video calls through Zoom or Google Meet, or a one-on-one call using Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp, Skype, or FaceTime.
- Play Easter games or any of your favorites. Games are fun and festive, whether you have 2 or 20 people. You could even play these over video or audio group calls – just email the printables and instructions ahead of time.
- Attend a church service together in person or virtually. Attending a church service on Easter is an annual tradition for Christians. However, for people who are immunocompromised, large gatherings can be especially intimidating. If going to a church service is not possible, you can find your church or other church services online to attend virtually.
My team at Home Helpers and I hope everyone has a fun and festive Easter! However, if you or a senior loved one is not able to share in your family’s celebration, we offer a variety of in-home care services to help make life and Easter easier!
The professional caregivers I employ will engage you in the activities listed above, and they can help with preparing tasty, nutritious meals, transporting you to religious services, assisting with technology for virtual services or family time, and so much more.
I am happy to offer a FREE Consultation to complete an assessment so I can match the perfect caregiver to help at Easter and beyond!
We, at Home Helpers® Clearwater, are honored to have been ranked among the Home Care Pulse Top 100 Leaders in Experience for home care providers in 2023 and to have received the Best of Home Care® Provider of Choice Award 2023, the Best of Home Care® Employer of Choice Award 2023, and the Best of Home Care® Leader in Experience Award 2023.
We proudly serve male and female seniors in Clearwater, Dunedin, Palm Harbor, Safety Harbor, Tarpon Springs, Holiday, New Port Richey, Trinity, Port Richey, Hudson, and surrounding areas. Home Helpers®…we are Making Life Easier℠ 727.942.2539