ASK PETER: All You Would Like to Know About Senior Care, Dementia, and Alzheimer's Care

Is carbon monoxide more dangerous for the elderly?

By Peter DiMaria

Temperatures in New England are hitting record lows and probably will remain like that for the rest of the month. Naturally, we feel tempted to pump up the heat and put on a fire in the fireplace. As the winter progresses, with further storms and power outages, a generator might be needed. With these, there comes the danger of carbon monoxide poisoning and fire.

Both fire and carbon monoxide can be fatal. That's even more challenging considering elder care and elder safety.

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless gas the can be lethal.  According to the CDC (Center for Disease Control), it is found in fumes produced any time you burn fuel in cars or trucks, small engines, stoves, lanterns, grills, fireplaces, gas ranges, or furnaces. CO can build up indoors and poison people and animals who breathe it.

CO poisoning is responsible for up to 40,000 emergency department (ED) visits and 5000 to 6000 deaths per year in the United States, making it one of the leading causes of poisoning death. According to the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) During 2010–2015, a total of 2,244 deaths resulted from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning, with the highest numbers of deaths each year occurring in winter months. In 2015, a total of 393 deaths resulting from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning occurred, with 36% of the deaths occurring in December, January, or February.

It can be particularly dangerous to the elderly, as they have more difficulty moving around or getting out of the house, in case they start feeling the symptoms of CO build up. Older adults with pre-existing conditions, such as chronic heart disease, anemia, or respiratory problems, are even more susceptible to the effects of this odorless, colorless gas.

How to Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Your loved ones’ house should have at least one up-to-date fire extinguisher. They should be aware of where the extinguisher is and know how to use it.  To avoid carbon monoxide poisoning, ensure their safety by checking the batteries on the carbon monoxide detector and buying an updated one if you need to. The house should have at least one detector. Many are recommended, depending on the size of the house, as it is never too much to be sure. At least one detector should be positioned next to the bedroom.

In some cases, elderly people have problems hearing and turn out their hearing aid during the night. That could make it impossible to listen to the alarm.

In that case, consider renting emergency alert systems with smoke detectors, offered by Home Helpers/Direct Link. These will send an alert to a monitoring station, in case of smoke or carbon dioxide in high concentrations in the house. The monitoring center then will call a family member, a neighbor and/or 911, to send help.

Symptoms: How to Tell the Difference between CO Poisoning and the Flu

Speak with your loved ones about carbon monoxide and its dangers. Explain to them that if they suddenly feel

a headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion they should immediately move out of the house, to a location where they can breathe fresh air. Then, they should contact the fire department, to check in on the house. This simple gesture could save their lives.

Even if their smoke detectors and alarms are all set up, the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) alerts that they may bring a false sense of security. CO alarms are not designed for low-level CO monitoring and there have been questions about whether CO alarm standards are protective enough, especially for sensitive groups such as older adults.

Since many of these symptoms are similar to those of the flu, they may not think that CO poisoning could be the cause. Symptoms could be the result of CO poisoning when:

- They feel better when you are away from home.

- More than one person in the home gets sick at the same time (it usually takes several days for the

flu to pass from person to person).

- Family members who are most affected spend the most time in the home.

- Symptoms occur or get worse shortly after turning on a fuel-burning device or running a vehicle in an attached garage.

- Indoor pets also appear ill exhibiting symptoms such as drowsiness and lethargy (human

flu viruses are not transmitted to pets).

- Generalized aching, low-grade fever, or swollen lymph nodes (these are typical of a cold or flu).

Get Help

If you believe that your loved ones won’t be able to deal with situations like this, you should consider bringing help in. Many different types of conditions can make external help wanted.

The first is any type of mobility impairment. Difficulty in moving around can make it difficult for an older person to go out, in case they feel the symptoms of poisoning. If it is cold outside, they will need to bundle up before leaving and this time could be precious for saving their lives.

Another condition that could make a situation like this difficult for them, is the existence of any type of dementia or Alzheimer’s Disease. Under these conditions, they might not understand what the alarm means. They might get confused and not be able to leave at all.

Finally, as mentioned before, hearing impairment could make it impossible to hear and react to the alarm.

In any of these circumstances, consider bringing in help from a Home Care Agency, like the one we provide with Home Helpers. The presence of a companion or home aide could save their lives in a situation like this, besides helping with activities of daily living, home chores, errands, and companionship.

Home Helpers Home Care

Home Helpers Home Care helps families all over North Central CT and Western Massachusetts to care for their loved ones.

Home Helpers Home Care in Enfield offers Senior Care in Suffield, Somers, Vernon, Tolland, Manchester, and other Connecticut localities.

Home Helpers Home Care in East Longmeadow offers Senior Care in Longmeadow, Ludlow, Chicopee, Hampden, and all Western Massachusetts.

Call now for a free in-home consultation:

(860) 698-2244 (Enfield)
(413) 224-1045 (East Longmeadow)