Caregivers in Framingham MA
Aquariums can be a lot of fun to look at for people of all ages, from the brightly colored fish to the fun décor that is lined up on the bottom of the tank. As interesting as they are to look at, did you know they also provide several health benefits? Elders can especially benefit from owning an aquarium. For decades, studies have shown that having an aquarium could actually lower blood pressure and reduce stress. If you want to get your loved one a pet, but are concerned that they may not be able to take care of it, fish are the perfect low-maintenance pet. Caregivers and family members alike should think about these perks to owning an aquarium for the senior in your life.
- Reduces blood pressure. As mentioned earlier, watching fish swim around in an aquarium can significantly lower the senior’s blood pressure. It is no wonder why doctor’s offices often have aquariums in their waiting rooms.
- Helps elders with Alzheimer’s disease. Studies have shown that elders with Alzheimer’s disease have actually shown a greater improvement. By placing an aquarium in the dining room, elders with this disease were able to eat more and need fewer supplements. These older adults also displayed less physically aggressive behaviors.
- Relieves stress. Aquariums have a calming effect that will help relieve stress in the elder’s life. It has a serene, peaceful effect on those who get the chance to see it.
- Prolongs life. Elders who have had a heart attack may be able to add years to their life with an aquarium. According to Holistic-Online.com, people who have had a heart attack will live longer if they have a pet because of the effect it has on their moods and health. Since fish tanks can help reduce blood pressure, they can also prolong the life of the elder because of its calming, tranquil effect.
- Increases positive attitude. Brightly colored fish may also boost the attitude of your elderly loved one. Just watching them swimming about in the fish tank have been known to put a smile on the faces of older adults, resulting in a more optimistic outlook.
- Brings elders back to their childhood. For many, they have some fond childhood memory related to a fish tank. Whether they owned one themselves as a child or remember seeing aquariums at their doctor’s or dentist’s office, aquariums can have a powerful impact on your loved one’s memory. It may give them a chance to remember things that they have not thought about in years.
Owning or seeing an aquarium can have a tremendous impact on the elder’s health. Consider these benefits when trying to find the perfect pet for your loved one.
IF YOU OR AN AGING LOVED ONE ARE CONSIDERING CAREGIVERS IN FRAMINGHAM, MA, PLEASE CONTACT THE CARING STAFF AT HOME HELPERS TODAY. CALL NOW (508) 545-0164.