There are many reasons that elderly adults tend to be more vulnerable to illness and infection than younger people, including weaker immune systems and the likelihood of suffering from existing health complications. As we head into the cold and flu season this makes it critical that you integrate more aggressive germ control efforts and other measures into your care routine to protect your parent from illness that could become extremely serious.
Use these tips to help protect your senior parent from illness this cold and flu season:
• Use proper handwashing techniques throughout the day and sanitizing gel when out of the home to keep germs at bay
• Ensuring home cleaning efforts are focused on combating germs and keeping them under control, including considering having their ducts cleaned if they have not done so recently
• Discourage visits from friends and family who are sick, have been sick, or have been around someone who has been sick
• Serve a balanced diet with plenty of fruits, vegetables, and protein to support their immune system and their energy levels
• Encourage plenty of hydration. During this time of year your parent might not feel as thirsty, but it is important that they continue to drink plenty of fluids to keep their body healthy and their immune system strong
• Keep them warm both in their home and when they go out. Remember that seniors are more vulnerable to cold than younger people and can suffer hypothermia at even relatively warm temperatures
Starting elder care for your aging parent can be an exceptional step toward boosting their quality of life and supporting a more fulfilling, independent, and engaged lifestyle throughout their later years. An elderly home care services provider can be with your parent on a customized schedule that ensures that they have access to the care, support, and assistance that they need at all times, whether that is several hours every day or just occasionally to handle specific tasks. Knowing that your senior parent has access to the personalized services of an elder care provider can give you peace of mind as their adult child, knowing that they are comfortable, safe, and happy, and also ease your stress as their family caregiver, knowing that even when you are not able to be with them, or if you have certain limitations, that their care needs will be fulfilled in the way that is right for them.
IF YOU OR AN AGING LOVED ONE ARE CONSIDERING ELDER CARE IN CONCORD, MA, PLEASE CONTACT THE CARING STAFF AT HOME HELPERS TODAY. CALL NOW (508) 545-0164.