Seniors often have a difficult time during the holiday season, but especially when it comes to New Year’s Eve. There are always fun activities and parties as we bring in the new year, and your senior loved ones may feel a bit down when they can’t party as the once did. The good news? There are lots of ideas to ring in the new year with older adults. Check out our tips for a fun and happy New Year’s Eve party!
- Craft Projects. Not only are crafts fun to make, but it provides quality time, as well as keeping their minds sharp and dexterity for their hands. Find a spot that would be cozy and comfy, and provide the supplies such as paint, glue, markers, etc. If they aren’t inclined to do artwork, adult coloring books are a wonderful way to spend time together.
- Cooking or baking their favorite foods! Are there any favorite baked goods or food that your loved one has always enjoyed making? Consider working in the kitchen, even if they aren’t able to do the cooking. They could lend a hand and tell you the stories behind the recipe to make it a special time for both of you!
- Talk! There is no time better spent than time with your senior loved ones. They have so much to say, so much wisdom, so many memories, and life lessons to pass down. By asking them to open up and share stories, you will bring joy and comfort to them. Try asking specific questions about specific people to get the ball rolling.
- Watch a movie! Ask your older adult which movies they have always liked and plan a time to watch it together. Popcorn or a favorite meal is a fun way to enjoy time together and allow your loved ones to enjoy time with you!
- Switch your countdown! Many seniors are unable to stay up past midnight to ring in the new year, so consider changing the time of your celebration activities. Starting your countdown earlier in the evening is a great way to not miss out on the celebration, while still allowing their routine to be uninterrupted. You could also set your DVR to record the Times Square ball drop and play it for them the next morning!
For more information and ideas about celebrating the new year with your senior loved ones, please contact us today!
Home Helpers of Nampa is a locally-owned, trusted home health care agency and offers quality, compassionate senior in-home care services including home care assistance, 24-hour care, personal care, companion care, respite care, Alzheimer's & dementia care, Parkinson's care as well as homemaker services in Nampa, Caldwell, Middleton, Star, Emmett, Greenleaf, Wilder, Melba, Notus, Parma, Fruitland, New Plymouth, Payette, and Homedale, Idaho.
This blog provides general information and discussions about medicine, health, and related subjects. The words and other content provided in this blog, and in any linked materials, are not intended and should not be construed as medical advice. If the reader or any other person has a medical concern, he or she should consult with an appropriately-licensed physician or other healthcare workers.
Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this blog or in any linked materials. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.
The views expressed on this blog and website have no relation to those of any academic, hospital, practice or other institution with which may have been mentioned or linked to in the article.