Senior Care in Valencia PA
Seniors are not the only ones who may undergo a distinct change in behavior. Caregivers can also seem to be someone else completely due to their new role as caregiver. One reason behind there sudden change in mood could be depression.
Caregivers who are feeling overwhelmed by the list of responsibilities that have fallen onto their lap should ask for help from a trusted source. This source could be a longtime friend, family member, or senior care provider. If you are beginning to feel like you are becoming depressed, talk to your doctor about the symptoms. They can help you come up with a treatment plan to significantly reduce the chances of having depression symptoms.
These 5 ideas may help you prevent depression from happening.
- Ask for help. There is no shame in reaching out for help. If you are feeling extremely overwhelmed, ask family members, friends, or professional home care providers to take on some of the caregiving responsibilities.
- Keep a journal. Writing down your thoughts and emotions can give help improve your mood. Write down all of the emotions and feelings you have during your caregiving role, such as frustration, fear, anger, or sadness.
- Take a time-out. In order to offer the best care for your loved one, you need to care for your own needs first. Pick up on hobbies you used to enjoy, go to a movie, or physical activity can help reduce stress and get you back to feeling like your old self.
- Do not forget about your other relationships. Caregiving may take up a majority of your time, but make sure to reach out to family members and friends every once in a while. Maintaining these close relationships will give you hope and strength, even when do not feel like continuing your role as caregiver.
- Maintain a positive attitude. The time and effort you are putting into caring for your elderly parent is making a huge difference in their life. Knowing that you are able to provide the care your loved one needs should be a rewarding experience for both of you. Try to focus on the positive aspects of your job instead of the negative ones as a way to keep your spirits up and help you maintain an enthusiastic attitude.
Caregiving is not always easy, but these tips will help you boost your mood and begin to remember why you decided to help your loved one once again.
If you or an aging loved one are considering hiring senior care in Valencia, PA, please call the caring staff at Home Helpers. Call today (412) 201-0712.