Elder Care in Northampton PA
When caring for a senior with a disability, illness, or other health problem, you may feel as though your caregiving responsibilities have taken up all of your time and energy. You may even be forgetting to handle your own responsibilities in order to put your elderly parent's needs first. As difficult as this can be, respite services are available for family members who need a break from this role.
Respite care involves having a professional elder care provider take over for you, while you can focus on your own needs. There are several respite care services available, depending on what you and your loved one need. Here are some services that may be available through respite care.
Home Care Services
- Personal care services: This includes help with bathing, feeding, bathroom needs, and getting dressed. The caregiver may also be able to take care of the meal preparations, grocery shopping, and driving. If your loved one has specialized needs, a home care agency will be able to match the elder with someone who has experience in that area.
- Companionship: if your aging parent lives alone, a home care provider can offer them the companionship they are in need of. By simply having someone to talk to, eat meals with, and spend time with could prevent the elder from feeling isolated, which may lead to depression.
While there are some out-of-home respite care services available, most seniors prefer to spend their time at home instead of in unfamiliar locations.
Tips for Getting Other Family Members Involved
- Communicate frequently. Especially if your family members do not live in the same area, it is important that they are updated on the health status of your loved one.
- Accept help. Are there any tasks that the elder is willing to help with? If other family members are willing and able to do so, let them. Also, frequently change jobs in order to prevent you and other family members from experience caregiver burnout.
- Take advantage of technology. There are a wide range of technological resources available that will make caregiving easy, especially for long-distant relatives. Skype is one type of technology you can utilize to bridge the gap between family members.
- Become a member of support groups. Participating in caregiver support groups will allow you to meet others who understand what you are going through. They may even be able to offer some advice to any problems you are having.
Caregiving can be difficult at times, so do not be afraid or embarrassed to ask for help through respite care.
IF YOU OR AN AGING LOVED ONE ARE CONSIDERING ELDER CARE IN NORTHAMPTON, PA, PLEASE CONTACT THE CARING STAFF AT HOME HELPERS. CALL TODAY! (610) 365-4266.