Tips for the Holidays
The 12 Rules of Christmas
Tips for the Holidays for a Person with Alzheimer’s or Dementia & Their Families
- Try to keep the number of guests to a minimum. Too many people can be overwhelming to a person with Dementia.
- Keep the area quiet, the less noise the better. Having a quiet place to retreat is a good backup plan.
- Keep the visit short. Two to three hours maximum.
- Allow for periods of quiet\rest for longer visits.
- Plan the event\visit for earlier in the day. Many people with Dementia suffer from sundowning, and may present with behaviors in the afternoon and evening hours.
- When taking Mom or Dad back to a facility-try saying “lets go for a ride” or “time to go for a drive”. You may get less resistance to leave.
- Avoid shadows and glare, they can confuse a person with Dementia.
- Keep expectations low.
- Avoid quizing\correcting. This only frustrates the person with Dementia.
- Be patient. Give them time.
- Be flexible, the day may not go as planned.
- Be loving. A person with Dementia can understand a warm smile and a gentle touch.