Medical Equipment that Can Help Seniors
Today there is a wide range of assistive devices that can help your loved ones stay independent at home for as long as they possibly can. Caregivers who are aware of the needs of aging seniors can choose from medical equipment for bathing, sleeping, eating, mobility and household needs.
Before ordering equipment, check to see if Medicare or private insurance will cover the expense. You may have to obtain a written prescription from the doctor.
Make a list of useful medical equipment that can help keep your loved one safe and independent at home:
- Bathing: Keeping up with personal hygiene and bathing can become a growing challenge as people age. In response, there is a tremendous amount of elder care devices on the market. From slip-resistant bath mats to transfer benches that help seniors get in and out of the bathtub, caregivers can choose the products that are most needed. Devices include hand held shower heads, tub safety bars, walk-in tubs and shower chairs. Rolling shower chairs can help those with mobility issues.
- Toileting: Ingenious and useful devices are available to help seniors use the toilet. Raised toilet seats and toilet lifts that help the user get on and off the toilet require minimal installation. Toilet tissue aids and sanitary bidets help with cleanliness.
- Bedroom: Sleep aids include memory foam and neck support water pillows, pressure relief bed pads and adjustable hospital beds. Steel bed canes can help the elderly with support for getting in and out of the bed, and bed rails can prevent falls. For seniors who spend a lot of time in bed, there are bed caddies that offer support for a sitting position while in bed and over bed tables for meals.
- Mobility Devices: Using the right mobility equipment can help a senior stay more independent and enhance his physical and emotional wellbeing. Mobility equipment like canes, walkers, motorized scooters and lift chairs can help. When a wheelchair is needed, there are different designs for different needs. Light weight chairs made from aluminum are appropriate for more active seniors and those who leave their homes frequently.
- Household Products: There is an endless array of household products that can make life easier for seniors. Large key turners for house keys are easy on aging, arthritic hands, and “talking” thermostats announce the time, the day, the temperature of the room and the temperature setting. Automatic door openers swing the door open for seniors who have mobility problems.
Staying Independent at Home
A reputable home health care agency can provide a trained in-home caregiver to help out with meals, bathing and transportation to keep your loved one safe in their own home. Home Helpers of South Shore is owned and operated by a compassionate health professional with a strong understanding of the needs of aging seniors. Contact Home Helpers to provide an experienced home health care worker who can make recommendations for medical equipment that can help your aging parent.
Please call us at 781-585-1244 or visit our website www.homecaresouthshorema.com for a free in-home consultation to determine the plan that is right for you.
We serve the following communities:
Abington , Braintree , Brockton , Buzzards Bay , Carver , Cohasset, Dighton , Duxbury , Falmouth , Halifax , Hanson , Hingham , Holbrook , Hull , Humarock , Kingston , Lakeville , Marshfield , Mashpee , Middleboro , Norwell , Pembroke , Plymouth , Plympton , Quincy , Randolph , Rockland , Sandwich , Scituate , Taunton , Wareham , Weymouth , Whitman