As an in-home caregiver, you know that your job gives you great rewards. But caring for the elderly can also come with a great deal of stress. Fortunately, there are easy ways to deal with stress and avoid burnout.
You are aware that you bring companionship and joy into the lives of aging seniors, and you have the satisfaction of knowing that you contribute to their independent lifestyle. But taking care of another comes with a lot of responsibility, and caregivers bear responsibility for seniors who may need help with the activities of daily living, such as dressing, bathing and preparing meals as well as medication management and transportation. Some may have medical conditions as well. Caregivers who provide senior in-home care services need to be proactive when it comes to dealing with stress.
Here are some tips for dealing with the stress of being a caregiver:
- Be Realistic: As much as you would like to restore your aging senior to health, have them make the best decisions and halt the ravages of age, it is impossible. Having realistic expectations and accepting that you cannot control everything is important. Do your best to help the aging adult have the best possible quality of life. That’s all anyone can do.
- Have a Sense of Humor: Laughter comes naturally to some people, and it pays to develop your sense of humor if it doesn’t. When taking care of an aging senior there are sure to be some funny moments. Share your thoughts if appropriate, and encourage even a grumpy senior to have fun and see the world in a positive way.
- Listen to Music: It is widely accepted that music therapy can relieve stress and even treat pain, depression
andanxiety. Listening to music can boost your mood and lower your blood pressure, and it helps seniors with dementia like Alzheimer’s. You can play music that appeals to older people with the occasional tune that you enjoy.
- Exercise: Finding ways to stay active is easy when you are a caregiver. If you find that you are too sedentary on the job, be sure to make time for exercise at home to improve your health, ward off common disorders like heart disease and burn off stress.
- Follow the Care Plan: If you find that your time with the aging senior is too stressful, you may have an idea that would make the senior better able to enjoy life. Provide this feedback to your agency management. It might be time to alter the care plan.
Choosing a Caregiving Agency
Home Helpers of South Shore is owned and operated by a compassionate health professional with a strong understanding of the needs of aging seniors. Contact Home Helpers for professional management, a caring atmosphere, a flexible schedule and the opportunity to learn new skills.
Call us at 781-585-1244 to discuss outstanding caregiver opportunities at Home Helpers of South Shore.
We serve the following communities:
Abington , Braintree , Brockton , Buzzards Bay , Carver , Cohasset, Dighton , Duxbury , Falmouth , Halifax , Hanson , Hingham , Holbrook , Hull , Humarock , Kingston , Lakeville , Marshfield , Mashpee , Middleboro , Norwell , Pembroke , Plymouth , Plympton , Quincy , Randolph , Rockland , Sandwich , Scituate , Taunton , Wareham , Weymouth , Whitman