I’m not sure that I know anyone that has NOT directly or indirectly been impacted by cancer. I know people who have survived various forms of the disease, and others who have succumbed to its devastating effects.
Cancer comes in a variety of forms and stages, and the very word generates feelings of fear and anxiety among patients and families.
As a Certified Senior Care Advisor and the President of Home Helpers Clearwater, I have had numerous opportunities to meet with seniors battling cancer and their family members to discuss ways a compassionate caregiver can help make their lives easier during and post-treatment.
With so many men and women coping with this dreadful disease in whatever form, I have sought to find the 7 smart suggestions for cancer prevention from an exceptional leader in the medical community, the Mayo Clinic.
- Eliminate tobacco – Smoking and chewing tobacco can lead to many types of cancer, including lung, mouth, throat, and pancreatic making tobacco a serious toxin. Avoid or eliminate tobacco in all forms. If necessary, ask your healthcare provider for guidance and products to help you stop.
- Eat a healthy diet – “Although eating healthy foods can't ensure cancer prevention, it might reduce the risk.” The Mayo Clinic recommends:
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables.
- Drink alcohol in moderation or not at all.
- Limit processed meats.
- Consider a Mediterranean diet approach.
- Stay active and maintain a healthy weight – Maintaining a healthy weight can help prevent breast and colon cancer. By staying active and getting routine exercise you can control your weight and improve your overall health. “As a general goal, include at least 30 minutes of physical activity in your daily routine. More is better.”
- Protect yourself from the sun – “Skin cancer is one of the most common kinds of cancer and one of the most preventable.”
- Avoid midday sun.
- Stay in the shade.
- Cover your skin.
- Don’t skimp on sunscreen.
- Don’t use tanning beds or sunlamps.
- Get vaccinated – “Protecting against certain viral infections can help protect against cancer.”
- Hepatitis B
- Human Papillomavirus (HPV)
- Avoid risky behaviors – “Another effective cancer prevention tactic is to avoid risky behaviors that can lead to infections that, in turn, might increase the risk of cancer.”
- Practice safe sex.
- Don’t share needles.
- Get regular medical care – “Doing regular self-exams and having screenings for cancers — such as cancer of the skin, colon, cervix and breast — can raise the chances of finding cancer early. That's when treatment is most likely to succeed. Ask a healthcare provider about the best cancer screening schedule for you.”
February may be Heart Health Month, but it is also Cancer Prevention Awareness Month, which is why I wanted to share these very important tips for cancer prevention from a highly respected resource.
If cancer has impacted your life or the life of a loved one, I know it is scary and difficult. I employ the most compassionate caregivers who help senior women and men every day, and they are always ready, willing, and able to help with transportation assistance to and from doctor appointments, cancer screenings, and treatments.
Additionally, these amazing Home Helpers® caregivers are highly trained to assist with personal care, light housekeeping, respite care for weary family caregivers, and so much more.
I gladly offer a FREE Consultation to identify specific ways we can help and develop a Cared-4℠ customized care plan to begin Making Life Easier℠ for you and your loved ones.
We, at Home Helpers® Clearwater, are honored to have been ranked among the Home Care Pulse Top 100 Leaders in Experience for home care providers and to have received the Best of Home Care® Provider of Choice Award 2023, the Best of Home Care® Employer of Choice Award 2023, and the Best of Home Care® Leader in Experience Award 2023. We proudly serve male and female seniors in Clearwater, Dunedin, Palm Harbor, Safety Harbor, Tarpon Springs, Holiday, New Port Richey, Trinity, Port Richey, Hudson, and surrounding areas. Home Helpers®…we are Making Life Easier℠ 727.942.2539