If you’ve been paying attention to the news at all, you are probably aware of the challenges we all face heading into the holiday shopping season and Black Friday. Demand is up, but the supply chains are so bottle-necked, many businesses may not receive their goods in time for the holidays at all!
With this in mind, consumers are encouraged to SHOP EARLY, to ensure gifts can be found, even if it’s not exactly what is listed on your or the recipient’s gift list.
I ran across a Senior Shopping Guide, that offers 47 free and affordable holiday gifts for seniors that should are all available online, and some different brands may be found in stores.
Senior Gift Ideas - FREE
- Favorite Songs & Albums – Daily Caring provides dedicated lists of favorite songs for seniors in various age groups. These can be recorded, uploaded to a smartphone or other device, or programmed in an Alexa or other personal assistant device.
- Personal Ride Share Service – Offer your services to drive seniors to appointments, activities, local venues, like museums, parks, etc. It may cost a few dollars for gas, but your company along with a personal driving service will be most welcome by almost any senior!
- Prepare Their Favorite Meal – Although, gift cards for restaurants may be a trend, seniors do not always want to venture out, especially with the threat of COVID. You add more of a personal touch when you prepare their favorite meal, and deliver it to them with a smile! If you don’t cook, take them somewhere special!
- Capture a Fresh Family Photo – We all know how fast time flies, and our children and grandchildren keep on growing older! If you can get everyone together for a group photo of the entire family, go for it! Seniors love updated images of their beloved family members, grands and great-grands. If it is impossible to get the family to the same place at the same time, encourage your family members to print and send fresh family photos to senior loved ones.
- Provide Information about Free Local Resources – Sometimes, providing the right information and doing some legwork for a senior is gift enough. There are a number of local and regional agencies and organizations that provide free services to seniors, especially for those on a fixed income:
- Area Agency on Aging – The Area Agency on Aging Pasco-Pinellas County is located in St Petersburg, and it is an Aging and Disability Resource Center that serves seniors, caregivers and individuals with disabilities. “Our community will provide seniors, adults with disabilities and caregivers with the resources and services needed to maintain independence, promote healthy aging and live an optimal quality of life,” their website states. 800.677.1116
- Dental Lifeline Network – If a special senior you know needs dental care, but they have limited or no resources to see a dentist, Donated Dental Service (DDS), provides free dental services to seniors by volunteer dentists in every state. In Florida, contact Megan Manor in Jacksonville, FL – 850.577.1466, or email email@example.com.
- Meals on Wheels – Seniors are not able to get out and shop for groceries or prepare meals. Meals on Wheels provides hot, healthy meals to homebound seniors and those who fall within a certain income. You may check to see if they offer a social setting where other seniors gather to share meals together. This is another opportunity for you to offer them a ride!
- National Association of Free & Charitable Clinics – Low income seniors may receive free medical services through clinics run by the NAFCC. If a senior needs assistance getting medications, pharmaceutical companies offer Patient Assistance Programs that could help with free medications. Visit their website to find a location near you.
- Hearing Aid Project – The National Hearing Aid Project assists low income seniors get hearing aids for free or at a low cost.
Senior Gift Ideas - Less Than $25
- Body Buddy Lotion Applicator Pad – $12 (Amazon)
- Coloring Books – $4 (Amazon)
- Compression Socks – $14 (Amazon)
- Crossword Puzzles – starting at $10 (Amazon)
- Cup Holder for Rollator or Wheelchair – $16 (Amazon)
- Custom Photo Calendar – starting at $7 (Walmart)
- Custom Photo Puzzle – starting at $12 (Walmart)
- Custom Photo Album – starting at $9 (Walmart)
- Electric Jar Opener – $17 (Amazon)
- Essential Oils – $10 (Amazon)
- House Slippers – $17 (Walmart – Men’s & Women’s)
- Large-Print Playing Cards – $7 (Amazon)
- LED Motion-Activated Lights – $16/3-pack (Amazon)
- Lyft or UBER Gift Card – starting at $5 (Lyft & Uber)
- Photo Mug – $8 (Collage)
- Succulent Plants – $24 (Amazon)
- Vintage Perfume – $ 19 (Amazon)
- Vive Walker Bag - $18 (Amazon)
- Walker Ski Glides – $10 (Amazon)
- Wooden Hexagon Puzzle – $10 (Amazon)
Senior Gift Ideas More than $25
- Amazon Echo Show – $80 (Amazon)
- Amazon Echo Dot - 4th Generation - $50 (Amazon)
- AncestryDNA Testing Kit – $99 (Amazon)
- Chocolate Gift Box – $27 (Amazon)
- Custom Photo Blanket – starting at $45 (Walmart)
- Deluxe Bingo Game – $25 (Amazon)
- Digital Photo Frame – $37 (Amazon)
- Direct Link Monitoring – prices vary (Home Helpers)
- Electric Toothbrush – $40 (Amazon)
- Gel Seat Cushion – $40 (Amazon)
- Heavyweight Wheelchair Blanket – $30 (Amazon)
- Key Finder Pair – $30 (Amazon)
- Lively Mobile+ Medical Alert – starting at $50/month (Lively)
- Magnifying Glass Necklace – $38 (Amazon)
- Photo Phone – $40 (Amazon)
- Portable AM/FM Radio – $27 (Amazon)
- Portable CD/Cassette Boombox – $38 (Amazon)
- Quadpod Walking Cane – $37 (Amazon)
- Smooth Touch Can Opener – $27 (Amazon)
- Sunrise Alarm Clock – $56 (Amazon)
- Warm Sweater – $29 (Amazon)
- Weighted Blanket – starting at $27 (Amazon – must know senior’s approximate body weight to select proper blanket weight)
I hope these ideas help! After the isolated holiday season most people experienced in 2020, I’m sure no matter what you choose for your special seniors this holiday season, and they will be grateful just seeing or hearing from you and yours!
If you don’t live in the Clearwater area, but you know a senior who could benefit from in-home care, Home Helpers® provides services such as care and companionship, meal planning and preparation, wellness calls and so much more. The compassionate caregivers I employ are ready, willing and able to help 24/7/365. I gladly offer a FREE Consultation to assess needs and match the perfect caregiver to provide assistance.
We, at Home Helpers® Clearwater, are honored to have received the Home Care Pulse – Best of Home Care® Provider of Choice Award in 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 & 2021. We proudly serve male and female seniors in Clearwater, Dunedin, Palm Harbor, Safety Harbor, Tarpon Springs, Holiday, New Port Richey, Trinity, Port Richey, Hudson and surrounding areas. Home Helpers®…we are Making Life Easier℠ 727.942.2539