Heart failure impacts approximately 5 million people throughout the United States. This diagnosis might sound truly terrifying, as though it means that the heart has stopped, will stop imminently, or will no longer be able to work. Though serious, however, the diagnosis does not mean that the heart has ceased working or that there is nothing that can be done. This condition simply means that the heart muscle has weakened to the point that it is not longer able to pump blood efficiently throughout the body. While this can lead to a variety of challenging symptoms, there are ways that your parent can manage this condition and continue to live a high quality of life as they age in place.
Use these tips to help your senior manage their heart failure:
- Encourage them to stay compliant with their medications, guidelines, and instructions from their doctor.
- Start elderly care for your aging parent so that they can receive assistance and support that will help them to manage their symptoms while also supporting independence, activity, and engagement.
- Make sure that your parent weighs themselves daily and records these weights. Paying attention to changes in weight can indicate when your parent might struggle with issues such as swelling and water retention that could be potentially dangerous.
- Help your parent pay close attention to what they are eating and closely monitor their salt and fluid intake. This involves learning to read nutrition labels and following instructions and guidelines from doctors to ensure that they are getting what they need, but not what they don't.
- Encourage your senior to stay physically active. Exercising regularly helps to keep their weight down, which reduces strain on the heart, and strengthens the entire cardiovascular system.
Starting elderly care for your aging parent can be a fantastic way to enhance the care efforts you already give them and create a more fulfilling and engaged lifestyle as they age in place. An elderly home care services provider can be with your aging loved one on a fully customized schedule that will ensure they have continued, reliable access to the services that they need while also keeping you at the forefront of their care routine. This means that they can manage their individual limitations and needs in the ways that are right for them while also encouraging them to pursue a lifestyle that is as active and independent as possible throughout their later years. These services can include transportation, assistance with personal care needs and activities of daily living, physical support and assistance, companionship, and more.
IF YOU OR AN AGING LOVED ONE ARE CONSIDERING ELDERLY CARE IN FRAMINGHAM, MA, PLEASE CONTACT THE CARING STAFF AT HOME HELPERS TODAY. CALL NOW (508) 545-0164.