Community Blog

3 Ways to Pay for In-Home Caregiving

By Ketan Patel

You may be helping your aging parents remain in their own home by assisting with chores like shopping and housekeeping. However, there may come a time when they need more help than you have the time to provide. Hiring a caregiver for elder care and homemaker services can be a lifesaver. But how can you pay for the help your parents need? It turns out that there are many resources that can help with caregiving bills, including long-term care insurance, Medicaid and Veteran’s Administration (VA) programs.

  1. Long-Term Care Insurance

If your parents have a long-term care insurance policy, they will be reimbursed for a caregiver who helps them with ADL’s (Activities of Daily Living) such as dressing, bathing and meal preparation. Policies vary and typically provide a daily allowance for a certified in-home caregiver. Some policies limit how much they will pay, and how long they will pay. Rarely, a policy will pay a family member who provides caregiver services.

  1. Medicaid Programs

Medicaid long-term care programs vary from state to state. They provide care in the home or in facilities such as assisted living, adult day care and nursing homes. Eligibility depends on whether or not your loved one belongs to an “eligibility group” in your particular state. Common requirements include age, income, and/or disability. Your loved ones would have to meet both general and financial requirements to be accepted to Medicaid, and then meet additional requirements for long-term care. The LTSS program (Long-Term Services and Supports) gives seniors financial support that can be used for long-term care. Some states allow seniors to pay a family member for long-term care.

Tip: If your state does not have an LTSS program, ask if they provide that service under a different name such as Cash and Counseling, Consumer Directed Care and Personal Choices.

  1. Veterans Services

Veteran aid is available to qualified veterans or their spouse. The Aid and Attendance program provides assistance to seniors who need help with Activities of Daily Living. In 2018, veterans may receive up to $1,830 monthly. The benefit can be used for any long-term care option, including paying family members for caregiving services. The consumer-directed Veteran Home and Community Based Services are available in many, but not all, states. Amounts vary, but veterans who participate in the program receive $3,500 monthly on average. You will have to provide a report from the doctor describing their need for in-home care. To access benefits from the Veteran’s Administration, speak to a representative from the local Benefits Office.

There may be local resources that can help out as well. A good way to find these resources is to contact your local Area Agency on Aging.

Senior In-Home Care

An in-home caregiver can help your loved one with the Activities of Daily Living so s/he can continue to live independently. Home Helpers of South Shore is owned and operated by a compassionate healthcare professional with a strong understanding of the needs of aging seniors. Contact Home Helpers to develop a detailed Care Plan customized for their needs to help your aging loved ones remain at home in familiar surroundings for as long as possible.

Please fill out the form on the left and we will get in touch with you about setting up in-home health care, or call us at 781-585-1244 to determine the plan that is right for you.

We serve the following communities:

Abington , Braintree , Brockton , Buzzards Bay , Carver , Cohasset, Dighton , Duxbury , Falmouth , Halifax , Hanson , Hingham , Holbrook , Hull , Humarock , Kingston , Lakeville , Marshfield , Mashpee , Middleboro , Norwell , Pembroke , Plymouth , Plympton , Quincy , Randolph , Rockland , Sandwich , Scituate , Taunton , Wareham , Weymouth , Whitman