If your parent has been told by their doctor that they need heart surgery to address damage done by a heart attack, manage signs of cardiovascular disease, or for another reason, it is very important that both of you are prepared. While relatively common, this is a major medical procedure, meaning that your parent will face risks during the procedure and after, and the care that you give to them and provide for them in the form of senior care will make a tremendous difference in how they get through this event. One of the most important things that you can do is prepare their home to be a place of nurturing and healing after the surgery. This will give them somewhere comfortable, safe, and healthy to return to so that they can focus on getting healthy and strong again.
Use these tips to help you prepare your parent's home for return after their surgery:
- If your parent's bedroom is upstairs, consider moving them to a downstairs bedroom or setting up a bed for them on the lower floor so that they do not have to go through the strain of going up and down stairs during the earliest parts of their recovery
- Ensure that the home is cleaned carefully to reduce germs and minimize the risk of infection for your senior when they return home
- Equip the home with items that your parent might need to keep them comfortable while they recover, such as tissues, lotion, lip balm, over the counter medications that the doctor says they can use to manage their symptoms, and comfortable bedding
- Ensure they have comfortable, loose-fitting clothing to wear during their recovery
- Add grab bars to the house to provide support as they navigate their home, especially in the bathroom
- Post contact information for all doctors and members of their care team in an easily visible place so that they can contact help if needed
Starting senior care can be a fantastic choice to help your elderly parent enjoy the highest quality of life possible as they age in place. A senior home care services provider can be with your parent on a customized schedule to ensure that they have access to the care, support, and assistance that they need. This means that they are able to manage their needs and challenges in the ways that are right for them. Through a set of highly personalized services this care provider can help your parent to stay healthy, happy, safe, and comfortable while also pursuing a lifestyle that is as active, engaged, and independent as possible. As their family caregiver this can give you tremendous peace of mind knowing that your parent is in good hands both when you are able to be with them and when you are not.
If you or an aging loved one are considering hiring senior care in Allison Park, PA, please call the caring staff at Home Helpers. Call today (412) 364-4663.