15 Songs to Spark Awareness – Alzheimer’s Playlist
Earlier this month, Home Helpers published a blog post about Music Therapy. The post detailed how music provides “awakenings” for those suffering from Alzheimer’s Disease and other types of dementia, including the story of Glen Campbell’s final tour, and the Alive Inside documentary. These stories provide inspiration to those who care for dementia patients, but you may be wondering what songs might help alleviate your loved one’s anxiety, and improve their communication and overall well being.
Today, we want to share a “playlist” of song ideas to help stir up happy memories for your loved one. As shown in the Alive Inside movie, uplifting songs from a dementia patient’s past can have amazing effects on their overall well-being.
Try playing some of these songs for your loved one, either through a speaker system or headphones, and see how they respond.Make sure the volume isn’t too loud, and be sure to avoid commercial interruption that may confuse them. Look for signs of reduced agitation, and encourage singing, clapping or dancing to add to the enjoyment!
Dementia Playlist – Music to provide “AWAKENINGS”!
- “What a Wonderful World” by Louis Armstrong | Listen»
- “Singing in the Rain” performed by Gene Kelly | Listen»
- “Rhapsody in Blue” by George Gershwin | Listen»
- “Walkin’ After Midnight” by Patsy Cline | Listen»
- “America the Beautiful” performed by Ray Charles | Listen»
- “New York, New York” performed by Frank Sinatra | Listen»
- “Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head” by Burt Bacharach | Listen»
- “Amazing Grace” performed by Celtic Women | Listen»
- “Rhinestone Cowboy” by Glen Campbell | Listen»
- “Canon In D” composed by J. Pachabel | Listen»
- “Song for my Father” by Sarah McLauchlan | Listen»
- “Sing, Sing, Sing” by Benny Goodman | Listen»
- “Hey There” by Rosemary Clooney | Listen»
- “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” performed by Judy Garland | Listen»
- “You Are My Sunshine” by Alan O’Bryant | Listen»
Our Playlist is now on Spotify!
Listen to the playlist on Spotify or Pinterest
Visit our Spotify Playlist or our Music Therapy Pinterest Board to hear these songs and more! Be sure to hit “Follow” to get song suggestions and news about music and dementia in the future.
Making Life Easier® Your loved one is in the best hands with our team.
Schedule Free Assessment