The holidays are an opportunity to be grateful for everything we have, spend time with family, and share a meal. If you are hosting family this year, you are probably busy preparing with preparations.
But what if you have older guests coming this year? It’s important to plan and consider what accommodations you should make to ensure they have a more enjoyable holiday celebration. Here are five helpful tips for you to consider:
- TRANSPORTATION – How are they getting to your gathering? Are they comfortable driving themselves, or do you have to arrange to pick them up or drop them off? If so, offer transportation or arrange for someone to drive them. Also, consider the vehicle you use to pick them up. A truck, for instance, may not be the appropriate vehicle to drive Grandpa, who is in a wheelchair.
- DIETARY RESTRICTIONS – Older guests may have specific nutritional needs due to medical conditions. Being mindful of these requirements is always a good idea as a host. If a guest has diabetes, for example, consider having a low-sugar option available for dessert.
- MEDICATION – Many medications need to be taken at the same time every day, usually with food. If your older guest has medicines they need to take, always follow their doctor’s instructions.
- ACCESSIBILITY – Does the older guest have any accessibility requirements? For example, if the older guest is in a wheelchair or needs a walker, ensure easy access to seating. Do a sweep of the house to check there aren’t any trip hazards that could lead to accidents.
- INVOLVEMENT – Just because someone is older doesn’t mean they can’t participate. Encourage them to help you with meal preparations or assist with other tasks. Getting them involved will make them feel more engaged and appreciated.
The holiday season offers a perfect opportunity to connect with older family members. C.A.R.E. (Cues, Assistance, Responsiveness, and Engagement) is a valuable resource that will help provide insight into their well-being and day-to-day needs.
If you’ve noticed a need arising with your aging loved one, Home Helpers® Home Care is here to answer all your questions. We offer the industry’s most comprehensive care program that covers every need to keep someone independent, safe, and comfortable at home.
The FREE In-Home Care Assessment will allow you to meet the team, discuss your concerns, and create a customized care plan to meet your loved one’s needs today and as their needs change.
We hope you and your loved ones have a wonderful and blessed holiday!