Grandparents hold a unique place in our hearts. They are a source of unconditional love, wisdom, and, often, a bridge to our family's past. Shouldn’t there be a day to honor grandparents? There is! National Grandparents’ Day is celebrated annually on the first Sunday after Labor Day.
So, what are some ways to celebrate National Grandparents’ Day? Here are eight activities that you can do with your grandparents.
- SHARE A MEAL OR GRAB A CUP OF COFFEE: Whether you cook up something tasty together, order takeout, or go out to your favorite coffee shop, sharing a meal is an excellent way to bond and create new memories.
- ASK QUESTIONS ABOUT THEIR CHILDHOOD: Ask your grandparents what it was like to grow up and share stories from their childhood. You'll be amazed at the adventures they've had, the challenges that they’ve overcome, and the lessons they've learned.
- WATCH HOME MOVIES: Dust off your old VHS tapes or projector slides and watch home movies from your or your parent’s childhood. It’ll be a great opportunity to jog your grandparents’ memory and discuss the past.
- WRITE LETTERS OR MAKE CARDS: Encourage your children to write heartfelt letters or create homemade cards for their grandparents. This personal touch can be a cherished keepsake.
- VISIT A LOCAL PARK OR MUSEUM: Explore your local area together and visit a nearby park, museum, or historical site.
- START A NEW TRADITION: Think about things you enjoy and how you can include your grandparents in those activities.
- RECORD YOUR FAMILY HISTORY: You can create keepsakes gathered from family members showing your family’s history.
- CELEBRATE FROM AFAR: If distance separates you, technology makes it easier than ever to communicate. Chat with your grandparents via video chat or send them an e-mail or text message. If your grandparents are technically challenged, there’s nothing wrong with a good old-fashioned phone call.
National Grandparents’ Day is an opportunity to express your love and appreciation for the wonderful grandparents in your life. Celebrate their wisdom, stories, and the warmth they bring to your world. However, you decide to celebrate, if it is done with love, it will be special.